Jordan Consulting And Counseling, LLC
Serving those who serve their communities
Police | Fire | EMS | Military

Wellness Center

What Type of Professional Should I See?

There are a wide variety of people in helping professions, and it can be confusing for someone who is looking for assistance. In general, psychologists, psychiatrists, and social workers are required to be licensed at the state level. Therapists and counselors are usually licensed, although it is not a requirement. Alternative health care-givers are not licensed by the state, but may be regulated. Ask questions if you are not sure, such as “What license do you hold and what board regulates that?” They will also expect you to ask about insurance coverage, specialties, and services they offer. Feel free to ask a lot of questions.

I need to be on medication for a mental health issue:
Psychiatrists have Doctor of Medicine degrees (MD) and can prescribe medication. They can administer psychological assessments, and may also provide psychotherapy (depending on geographical region of the U.S.). If you take medication for a mental health issue, it is a good idea to see the prescribing psychiatrist on a regular basis to monitor how the medication is working and deal with any side effects. Psychiatrists may work for a hospital or health organization, a clinic, or be in private practice.

I am looking for someone to help me with current abuse/neglect issues, or a persistent mental health problem:
A social worker provides case management and psychosocial services for victims of abuse or neglect, and for people severely affected by a mental health diagnoses (like Schizophrenia). They act as a coach and advocate for the client, and coordinate with other services the client may need or use. A social worker may work for a government entity (the county), a clinic or hospital setting, or be in private practice.

I need to talk to someone to get myself pulled together:
Psychologists, therapists, and counselors provide a variety of therapies for people dealing with difficulties or mental health disorders. Psychologists have a PhD or a PsyD, or may have a Master’s degree, while therapists and counselors most likely have Master’s degrees in counseling, psychology, or marriage and family therapy. Therapies usually involve discussing your difficulties (and your overall life situation) with the psychologist or counselor, then they will make a plan with you to meet your goals. There are many types of therapies, and you can ask them how they work before you make an appointment. Psychologists can also administer in-depth psychological assessments (MMPI, CPI, etc), while counselors and therapists licensed at the Master’s level can not. These include fitness-for-duty/work evaluations. Psychologists and therapists/counselors may be employed at clinics, hospitals, non-profits, or be in private practice. There are also psychologists who work in/specialize in school psychology and developmental issues.

I need to talk to someone about alcohol or drug use:
A licensed addictions counselor (LADC) can provide chemical assessments as well as individual and group counseling regarding chemical use/abuse/dependence. These counselors specialize in alcohol and drug issues, and can also provide information for people living with family members with these issues. Addictions counselors are licensed by the state, and can be found in treatment facilities, detox facilities, some clinics, and can be in private practice. 

I have questions regarding spirituality, or I feel more comfortable talking to someone within my religion/belief system:
Clergy and spiritual leaders in all the main religions are “leaders” because of their level of training. Many have also received some form of training about how to counsel members of their place of worship. Some of these religious leaders may also have licensing through the state as counselors. If you are not connected with a specific place of worship, many police departments now have Police Chaplain Units. These are local members of the clergy who operate in a non-denominational role to assist the public with their problems. You do not have to be affiliated with a police department, or even live within that jurisdiction, to access a Chaplain. Check the local department website to find out if your local agency has a Chaplain unit.

I would prefer something more holistic or culturally specific:
There are a huge variety of complementary or alternative health care options available. These are not licensed by the state, but may be regulated and/or licensed through independent boards. The state, however, can investigate complaints against such providers. Alternative care can be used alone, or in conjunction with other therapies. This can include cultural practices, folk remedies, homeopathy, Reiki, healing touch, massage, acupressure, herbology, naturopathy, and many other options. Practitioners of these programs will also expect new clients to ask questions about what it is, how it can help, is it covered by insurance (some are), and whether it can be used in conjunction with other options. Your medical physician/psychologist/counselor may be
able to refer you to an alternative practitioner.

Chiropractors are licensed by the state. While some people consider chiropractic care an “alternative” medical therapy, it is widely recognized and usually covered by medical insurance.

Beth Jordan

Jordan Consulting and Counseling

Posted 179 weeks ago

Handling Stress

What to watch for in yourself:

  • Am I tense (especially in the neck and shoulders)?
  • Do I hold my breath, or breathe from the chest? 
  • Am I eating when I am not hungry or skipping too many meals? 
  • Am I getting angry and impatient with people, especially at home? 
  • Do I feel like crying about things that never affected me before? 
  • Do I expect the worst, or feel like just giving up? 
  • Am I smoking (or smoking more), or drinking “to unwind”? 
  • Do I have a drink or use OTC meds to help me sleep? 
  • Do I need a couple of caffeinated drinks to get started each day? 
  • Do I feel suspicious of the people around me? 

What can I do to help myself?:

  • Take assigned breaks away from your job duties (do not eat at your desk) 
  • Avoid snacking out of boredom or depression—find physical alternatives
  • Walk around somewhere secure/safe several times during the shift to clear your head
  • Take 5-15 minute breaks to read or listen to calming music away from your regular chores
  • Learn what you have control over (your reaction to things) and what you don’t (the hours your shift runs); change or adapt what you control, learn coping skills for what you don’t control 
  • Be aware of your personal communication (how you talk to people, who you talk to, how what you say is interpreted.) Ask for feedback from someone you trust on this. 
  • Stick to a sleep schedule—if you work nights, sleep at the same time every day, and instruct your family and friends NOT to infringe on this. 
  • Drink water and avoid drinks with sugar or high amounts of caffeine in them. Water hydrates and will help you under stress, sugar, tobacco and alcohol exacerbates the stress reaction. 
  • If you need more (or less) challenging tasks at work, advocate on your own behalf. 
  • Get regular health, dental, and vision check-ups. Many stress-related health problems can be identified early and addressed this way. 

What can the organization do to reduce stress?:

  • Supervisors and management have to enforce contract clauses (such as allowing officers breaks out of the squad and out of the public eye) 
  • Supervisors need to be aware that an employee’s negative behaviors are often a stress reaction 
  • Burnout is caused by chronic occupational stress, not “bad” employees 
  • Require personal communication training for the staff (good communication is as common as common sense….) 
  • Understand biological factors at play; the body is not designed to sit for long periods of time, computer screens do cause eye strain and can cause permanent vision problems, biologically the body is designed to be “asleep” from 3-5 a.m., and also from 3-5 p.m.

Beth Jordan

Jordan Consulting and Counseling

Posted 245 weeks ago

Beth Jordan | 763-424-2100 | | Maple Grove, MN 55369